Contact: Richard Wagner
Statement of College Park City-University Partnership Board Chair
Richard Wagner on Eric Olson’s Resignation
Eric Olson offered his resignation as Executive Director of the College Park City-University Partnership to devote full time to other pursuits. The City-University Partnership Board has accepted his resignation effective the end of March. Valerie Woodall, current Senior Program Associate, will assume the position of Interim Executive Director.
The Partnership thanks Eric for the excellent job he did as Executive Director over nearly eight years, as he worked tirelessly to implement the University District Vision 2020, encompassing five strategy areas: Housing and Redevelopment, Transportation, Education, Public Safety, and Sustainability.
Transformative strides have been made in each of these areas in collaboration with the University, the City, Prince George’s County, and the State. Recently, Eric led the Partnership, the City and the University as we collectively crafted updated Vision 2020 for the next ten years, which has been endorsed by City, University, County, and State leaders.
Through the College Park City-University Partnership, Eric played a key, collaborative role in making College Park an even greater university community, including:
- Redevelopment of blighted properties to make way for new housing, restaurants, hotels, employment;
- A safer Baltimore Avenue with brighter lights, crosswalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian call signals;
- MARC expansion, advancement of the Purple Line;
- Expanded Trail Connections, like the College Park Woods Trail, and underpass improvements;
- Founded Trolley Trail Day, with over 800 people and 40 businesses participating in the first year;
- College Park Academy, and two new educational facilities for young children;
- A successful, well-funded, Homeownership Program;
- Initial planning for a Community Preservation Trust; and
- Placemaking and public art initiatives, including murals and outdoor performance
Eric’s leadership has built the foundation upon which we will build for years to come. The Partnership hopes you will join us in thanking Eric and wish him the best for the future.